UNU-IAS will organize the first Water and Urban Initiative (WUI) Symposium on Sustainable Urban Water Environment on 14 March 2016 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The overall objective of this symposium is to discuss innovative and feasible approaches to evaluate the value of improved urban water environments. Impacts of global change, such as climate and land use change, on urban water pollution will be a major area of focus. Researchers and experts will discuss various aspects of what constitutes “value”, such as human health risks, ecosystem services and flood mitigation, to establish a useful framework based on sound scientific simulations.
This event will be held in English. Interpretation into Bahasa Indonesia will be available.
This event is free and open to the public, but advanced registration is required. Please click on the REGISTER button above to access the online registration page.
9:30 Registration opens
10:00－10:15 Opening Remarks
- Kensuke Fukushi (UNU-IAS)
- Masaaki Kobayashi (Vice-Minister for Global Environment, MOE Japan)
M. R. Karliansyah (Director General for Pollution Control and Environmental Degradation, Ministry of Environment and Forestry Republic, Republic of Indonesia)
10:15－11:45 Session I: Introducing the WUI project and relevant studies and activities being carried out in Indonesia
- Keynote LectureTjandra Setiadi (Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB))
- Water and Urban InitiativeKensuke Fukushi (UNU-IAS)
- Ongoing co-benefits project for waterSri Parwati Murwani Budisusanti (Ministry of Environment and Forestry Republic, Republic of Indonesia)
- Ongoing project for decentralized wastewater treatment system in IndonesiaPrayatni Soewondo (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
13:30－14:55 Session II: Presentations by the WUI project
- Overview of Jakarta water environmentPingping Luo (UNU-IAS)
- Climate projections and flood inundationBinaya Kumar Mishra (UNU-IAS)
- Water quality modelingRam Krishna Regmi (UNU-IAS)
- Health risk modelingYoshifumi Masago (UNU-IAS)
- Economic evaluationShokhrukh-Mirzo Jalilov (UNU-IAS)
Kensuke Fukushi (UNU-IAS)
15:30－17:00 Stakeholder workshop
Following the symposium, a small group workshop (limited to invitees) will be held for further discussion on the quality and economic value of urban water environment.
Information Note for Participants
Participants should obtain appropriate entry visas to Indonesia. Please visit the appropriate website for information on visas.
Participants are requested to make their own accommodation arrangements. The following hotels are relatively close to the symposium venue. Participants are requested to contact the hotel directly well in advance to arrange their own accommodation.
UNU-IAS is organizing this event as part of the Water and Urban Initiative, which aims to design water quality models and a water sustainability index, which will predict future conditions and assess projected scenarios to inform policymaking.
WUI – Jakarta Symposium – concept note
- Double Tree by Hilton in Jakarta – Diponegoro
Jl Pegangsaan Timur No.17 Cikini, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia
TEL: +62-21-3190 4433
FAX: +62-21-3192 4877
United Nations University
Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability
5–53–70 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-8925 Japan
Tel: +81 3 5467 1212 Fax: +81 3 3499 2828